The Allingham Festival 2018 Flash Fiction and Poetry Competitions are now open! We have received some fantastic entries over the years, and we anticipate the same again this year. You can read some of the more recent winning entries on our website
Our competitions are designed to recognise and reward talented writers who, following in the footsteps of William Allingham, seek to launch or further their careers. The Allingham Festival includes competitions for adult writers of poetry and flash fiction, and also for children. The festival offers readings and workshops led by nationally-recognised literary figures where aspiring authors can meet, share ideas, and discuss the emerging trends in the world of writing and publishing.
This year are judges are Paul McVeigh (Flash Fiction) and Monica Corish. Poet Theo Dorgan will judge the Poetry competition.
Submission deadline: 21 September 2018. Postal entries must also be received by 21 September.
The top prize in both Flash Fiction and Poetry is €300. Winners are invited to read their winning entries at a special awards ceremony at the Literary Lunch on Saturday, November 10th.
Writers with a lyric flair should also take note of the Allingham Songwriting Competition. In addition to his skills as a writer and editor, William Allingham was also a fine fiddler.
For Allingham competitions for Children's Art and Writing, the rules and entry forms are listed separately on the Allingham website.
To upload your entry, use our online entry form here: http://www.allinghamfestival.com/online-entry
Terms and Conditions for Allingham Poetry and Flash Fiction Competitions for adults:
· All entries must be the original work of the entrant. Entrants must be 18 years old or older on or before 8 November 2018.
· Entries must not have been published elsewhere (online, digital, or in print) before 8 November 2018.
· Winners of 2016 or 2017 Allingham Poetry or Flash Fiction competitions are not eligible to re-enter in 2018.
· All entries must be written in English.
· Entries must be typed. Handwritten entries will not be considered.
· Entries can be submitted by email or by post. The deadline for receipt of postal and e-mail entries is Friday, September 21, 2018.
· Each entrant may submit up to 5 poems, maximum 40 lines per poem.
· Each entrant may submit up to 5 flash fiction pieces, maximum 800 words each.
· Judges’ decisions are final. No correspondence will be entered into regarding the shortlist or the winners. Entries will not be returned.
HOW TO ENTER
· Submit online entries as doc, docx, or pdf files. Each entry – each poem or flash fiction piece – must be submitted in a separate file. Postal entries must be typed or printed on A4 pages.
· Flash Fiction pieces must be submitted in 12 point Arial or Times New Roman font, with 2 cm margins on A4 page(s). Use 1.5 or double-spacing. Include title of entry and page number(s) on all pages. 800 words maximum.
· Poetry formatting, including spacing, is at the discretion of the author. Include title of entry and page number(s) on all pages. 40 lines maximum.
· Each entry must include an application form. For online entries, the entry form serves as an application form. For postal entries, print an application form and include it with your entry.
· Include the title of your story or poem and its page number(s) on all pages, but not your name or any other personal details. Personal information must appear only on the application form.
· The entry fee is €5 for 1 entry, €8 for 2, €12 for 3, €15 for 4, €17 for 5.
· Poetry and flash fiction competitions are separate, and entries to the two competitions must be made separately. Example: if you wish to submit one piece of flash fiction and three poems, fill out an entry form for the flash fiction and submit the entry along with the fee. Fill out a separate entry form for the three poems and send the form and the three poems along with the fee.
· Poems and flash fiction pieces must be submitted in separate emails or in separate envelopes.
Post entries, cover letter and postal order or cheque to:
Allingham Poetry Competition
Allingham Flash Fiction Competition,
A Novel Idea,
In your cover note list:
– The number of entries submitted
– The title of each entry
– Your name
– Postal address
– Email address
– Contact phone number
Cheques should be made payable to “Allingham Festival”.