2019 ALLINGHAM POETRY AND FLASH FICTION COMPETITIONS
The Allingham Festival 2019 Flash Fiction and Poetry Competitions are now open! We have received some fantastic entries over the years, and we are looking forward to reading this year's entries. You can review some of the recent winning entries on the Allingham website.
Our competitions are designed to recognise and reward talented writers who, in the footsteps of William Allingham, seek to launch or further their careers. The Allingham Festival includes competitions for adult writers of poetry and flash fiction, and also competitions for children. The Festival also offers readings and workshops led by nationally-recognised literary figures where aspiring authors can meet, share ideas, and discuss the emerging trends in the world of writing and publishing.
Submission deadline: 26 September 2019.
Postal entries must also be received by 26 September.
The top prize in both Flash Fiction and Poetry is €300. Winners are invited to read their winning entries at a special awards ceremony at the Literary Lunch in Ballyshnnon on Saturday, November 9th.
The rules, entry forms and deadlines for Allingham competitions for Children's Art and Writing are listed separately on the Allingham website.
Terms and Conditions for Allingham Poetry and Flash Fiction Competitions for adults:
· All entries must be the original work of the entrant. Entrants must be 18 years old or older on or before 9th of November 2019.
· Entries must not have been published elsewhere (online, digital, or in print) before 9th of November 2019.
· Winners of 2017 and 2018 Allingham Poetry or Flash Fiction competitions are not eligible to re-enter in 2019.
· All entries must be written in English.
· Entries must be typed. Handwritten entries will not be considered.
· Entries can be submitted by uploading on our website, email or by post. The deadline for receipt of both postal and e-mail entries is Friday, September 26, 2019.
· Each entrant may submit up to 5 poems, maximum 40 lines per poem.
· Each entrant may submit up to 5 flash fiction pieces, maximum 700 words each.
· Judges’ decisions are final. No correspondence will be entered into regarding the shortlist or the winners. Entries will not be returned.
HOW TO ENTER
· Submit online entries as doc, docx, or pdf files. Each entry – each poem or flash fiction piece – must be submitted as a separate file. Postal entries must be typed or printed on A4 pages.
· Page number format must include page number and total page count for each entry. Example: Page 1 of 3, Page 2 of 3, etc.
· Flash Fiction pieces will preferably be submitted as Font Size 12, in Arial or Times New Roman font, with 2 cm margins on A4 page(s). Use 1.5 or double-spacing. Include title of entry and page number(s) on all pages. 700 words maximum.
· Poetry formatting, including spacing, is at the discretion of the author. Include title of entry and page number(s) on all pages. 40 lines maximum.
· Each entry must include an application form. For online entries, the entry form serves as an application form. For postal entries, print an application form and include it with your entry.
· Include the title of your story or poem and its page number(s) on all pages, but not your name or any other personal details. Personal information must appear only on the application form.
· The entry fee is €5 for each poem or flash fiction piece.
· Poetry and flash fiction competitions are separate, and entries to the two competitions must be made separately. Example: if you wish to submit one piece of flash fiction and three poems, fill out an entry form for the flash fiction and submit the entry along with the fee. Fill out a separate entry form for the three poems and send the form and the three poems along with the fee.
· Poems and flash fiction pieces must be submitted in separate emails or in separate envelopes.
Post entries, cover letter and postal order or cheque to:
Allingham Poetry Competition
Allingham Flash Fiction Competition
c/o A Novel Idea
Co Donegal F94 HK8W
In your cover letter, write:
– The number of entries submitted
– The title of each entry
– Your name
– Postal address
– Email address
– Contact phone number
Cheques should be made payable to “Allingham Festival”.